Monday, March 3, 2008


We drove at Dawn.
Cloris drove the Hummer while I stared out the window, her mug of coffee lukewarming my duke. She listened to xm radio and I tumbled through my mind, trying to excavate events from the evening.
Despite my training, I couldn’t extract any key evidence…no feelings, no memories (dammit). I could only assume my innocence, and began to feel pretty decent about myself.
The girls tricked me to stay warm, no more.
“I smell Chocolate.”
“You can’t smell chocolate, Cloris..I..” She turned and smiled at me. I withered.
“I told the Twins to hold you until I got there. Can’t be late.” Cloris smiled, both hands at the wheel, hair blowing in the wind.
I drifted off, raking my dreams for any sign of life. By the time I discovered my sleep, I no longer remembered why I cared. But I did, so I found myself wedging my finger’s into Cloris’ mind, seeing if there was anyway I could let myself in without her knowing.
I wanted to know what it could possibly be like to be her. What, I suppose Cloris thinks of me. My devotion.
“Are you in my underwear?” Cloris chuckled. “I thought you were trying to get into my mind.” She turned the radio down, a sly bit of Strayhorn via Ellington.
“You’re prying on me…chocolates?..you know they make me romantic.”
She smiled.
I turned to stare out the window. Whatever happened with me and the Feltons (whatever it was, it was duty), was as much fun as I could look forward to into the near future.

No comments: