Thursday, June 14, 2007

Life passes by like scenes from a train window. The bad, the good the ugly ones shoot the loop and say goodbye. Volumes of people pass through our lives and us through theirs. Looking for love.

I would be nothing without friends, assume they'd be less without me in their lives. Many lives. In many lands everywhere.

I was many shapes before I took constant form
I was a narrow sword, a single drop in the air
A bright shining star and a lantern’s light
I glowed gloriously for a year and a day
A bridge spanning three score rivers
Flown as eagles, birds on the sea
Was a lonely drop in a shower
Years lived in enchantment
In water I absorbed fire
In Arcadian coverts
One/Everything
I’ve been
You

I was born to earth wet and swollen
Green leaves pounded, slashed
Thick air swept with rain
Pushing yawning trees
Against the ground

Fire broke against thickly armored sky
Sulphurous charges tore at the trees
And in the rocks I huddled, hungry
Weighing the uncommon hunger
Against the comfort of my lair

In the dark
Sitting on my heels
My chest against my knees
Staring at my toes
Which sometimes disappeared

I blinked my eyes in the dark
And thought of nothing but food
Hunting, stuffing my mouth
Sleeping if all went well

The rain stopped

I hugged my knees and swayed
Shoulders shoving rock walls
Rain delivers one benefit
While I wasn’t hunting

I wasn’t being hunted

Sorting though the matrix of life, many of the most pleasant landmarks are constructed around women. Some of those constructs are little more than wattle-and-stick sort of straw brides. Others are Polestars toward whom I navigate.

It’s a timeless process. Mostly ethereal, but occasionally corporeal. In other words…sometimes we touch.

She came
running from the ocean
an angry crab in every hand
A bronze discus sun
melded into azure sea
Firelight danced
in her ebony eyes
She plopped in the sand
and waved the writhing crabs
in my face
Driftwood embers
snapped and popped
I poked the fire with a stick
Sparks raged into blackening sky
Folie loosed the crabs
her interest drawn skyward
to twinkling diamonds cascading
shot from the tail of a passing comet

I was Folie’s age
Single falling stars
Were enough to wish

Tonight
Had I one
wish to make
to the night sky
it would end now

I knew she was dangerous

Her crabs meandered down the beach
As crystals of light shimmered across her eyes
Flames mounted her cheeks, exhausting precious fuels

Folie peeled off her suit
hung it over the fire
Brilliant specks
In the dark
Behind
her

Rolling surf clapped the beach
She sat close head on my shoulder

She left awhile ago
What’s left of my time
is running out by the hour

At night
I gaze the night sky
and often spot a falling star
Or two
Or three
Too many for wishes.






No comments: