Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Me and Sam kinda sat there…stunned by it all. I was thinking about breakfast, reckon Sam was on track as well. I dunno, you look back on stuff and sometimes you don’t even want to have an opinion, but you do. Have one.

Comes with the territory.

I scratched Sam and stared off into the trees. A deer made it’s way through the wetlands and through the woods to the property. Either my fences were down or this was one hardy specimen.

Sam looked up at me with that look I know so well. He wasn’t going to go unless I let him, so I whistled once, then let Sam go. Evolution. Proves itself without argument.

At some point, every morning, the sunrise eludes us. We drift into something not quite so extraordinary. More… mundane…you know, the day. We wish something special would last, we hope something special will come.

Meantime…do we feel special?

Whether it comes or not it is there.
Never beyond anyone’s grasp.
Free to all, it stands today.

As long as memory it has been here
Bathing, blessing, feeding my people
Carrying us afar and back once more

My people give it old familiar names
The names change as time flows past
Always it flows to salve us every one

Water builds cities, washes our dead
Brings us to war and wins our peace
Lifts our despair and cleans our eyes

Hatred raging as unslakeable thirsts
Flowing past the doors of my people
Who taste from the soul of the beast

The river is my people full of dream
Drunken on want and bloated desire
Arid souls and hollow hearts flaming

The river promises a sumptuous kiss
Seductive plenty without satisfaction
Threadfing beyond curtained windows

People and river being one and same
Starving beyond a hope of fulfillment
Build boats to trade jewels and spices

Gain nothing when our homes are lost
Seeds lay on soil destroyed by the sun
A river of love flowing past my people

Wisdom abandoned if we do not drink
Flowing past us with eternal promising
My people damp their tongue on tears

Ignore peace to get what they want.
Blame others for any dissatisfaction.
Grow fat critisizing everybody else.

They never look at who they are.
If there's anyone else to blame.
Anyone other than themselves.

Freedoms of our Constitution.
We suffer for them everyday.
Yuppie assholes in our way.

Consumerism rules the day.
How people lose their way.
It’s time to seize this fray.

I never drank any water.
In my rowdy childhood.
Nobody ever bleated:

“Oh, Stoveman!”
“Your water!”

If you want the world you want.
Be prepared to be very thirsty.
Future's worth every struggle.
Give our friends your water.

You’ll be measured drop by drop.
Our tongues swollen like sand.
Hope you know how to love.
With water in your hand.

I poured Sam some crunchies and freshed his water bowl. I washed my hands and pulled a slab of bacon out of the reefer and slapped it on the butcher block. I pulled out a long knife and a sharpening steel. A few deft strokes and it was sharp to a thrill.

I sliced a few strips for myself, and a few for Sam. The eggs were from my own chickens, each chicken has a name. The bacon came from a pig who was my well-fed friend until I slashed his throat. The bread...I bought the flour, wise ass, but I baked the bread in a wood-burning stove.

Revolution will be easy.

No comments: