Saturday, June 2, 2007

When you live on a farm, chores have got to be done. no matter how one "feels." I could hire somebody, but I've worked all my life and see no reason to slack off now. I like being alone. Reckon I've heard enough noise in my life, so the silence won't bug me a bit.
Out here there's nothing noisy except the peacocks and peahens, and they rip up the night in some sort of waterfowl ecstasy.
Between rock n' roll and a few wars I've fought in, some of my hearing is gone. Now it could be surmised that I only hear what I want. What I want to hear is far beyond my auditory skills.
That's why I have Mozart. He gives me exquisitude when the world feeds me nothing but lunchmeat.
Music when I can't hear a thing.

I think a lot while muscling a big wheelbarrow up the hill for hundreds of yards. Sod has to be removed for the corn, then hauled up the hill to fill in the croquet green next to the koi pond.
I don't want to go back to sea.
She's gone.
That's the main thing. I got this eight acres to take care of. It'll keep me busy. Maybe She wouldn't have liked it here anyway. Rains a lot and the people are goofy. I could've taken sasha from the islands...but never could I have taken the islands from Her.
I busted ass up the hill exactly 21 times today...hauling sod for a little spot by the pond I'll never really have time to enjoy.
It's just the Feng Shui of the whole thing. If the sod improves my fortune just a squeak, then maybe I'll finally be happy. Maybe.

As I wrestled the first haul up the hill I got to thinkin': by the time I get to the top of the hill I gotta come up with what I would consider to be my two most important lessons in life.
Whew. If my keys weren't strapped to my body I couldn't find them.

My conclusion: The first thing you would have to learn is how to read.
The second thing would be to learn how to make friends. Having something to talk about helps...that's why the reading. Friends are your portal to everything in life and without them you are less than nothing...not good enough to be shit. Think about it.

Tell you something about damn wheelbarrows. The Studebaker was the best 'barrow you could buy. After The War Studebaker decided to build cars, and my uncle's Studebaker Commander was one of the best American cars available. It was built by folks aching to do something good with their skills. Something more than building tanks, airplanes and ships.
I dumped the sod, wiped my brow and rolled the Heavy-Duty Jackson 'barrow down the hill.
I cut and loaded more sod,hoisted the load and grunted uphill...

I raised three girls on my own. It was the right size of family for us. We all wished for many things but we always had each other.

Don't know what you believe? Challenge yourself. Believing comes from within.

It's cool being human.
It's human to be cool.
Thinking about being cool,though...is usually not.

Don't know what others believe? Challenge them. Never be content just listening.

Despite the latest information, you can change the world.You could do it in 188 days if you desired. In the process, you will change yourself. Are you ready?

You can count on the efforts of others to help you along the way...but every offer must be met in kind or the path will be short.

Opportunity knocks, but only when it expects an answer.

Don't measure love, it's too exquisite. Give and accept it freely. You can never give or take too much.

We are the products of our choices, each and every one.

"I was here first!" You'll hear this phrase often. Ignore it. We all arrived at the same time and we are equals in our greatness.

Stop hurting yourself. Life demands it and so should you.

Some dreams grow in darkness...where few would look. This is where you are most likely to discover irony, the most valuable tool of all.

Don't read too much. The moment is more valuable than the memory.

See if you can do better than me.

Always include everyone. This can get ugly quick, but you'll feel better.

Trust your gut, but know the difference between food and intuition.

Feel yourself.

But don't lose yourself.

Sweet Jesus that was a hard job. Why would anyone go up and down a goddam hill unless there were food involved? And to think I should be splitting and stacking firewood now that the weather is more willing. Last winter was tough...one of the worst in 80 years.
I've got five gardens to manage, but I planted every seed. I reckon I'll be eating top-flight in a few weeks. In the late summer there will be more. In the Fall the joint will be raging. Wish you were here.


1 comment:

ryan bird said...

does this not just get better and better!? This is magnificently brilliant!!! Bravo!